For most individuals, spring represents the beginning of "hay fever season," which can produce symptoms such as a runny nose, itchy eyes, and sneezing for an extended period of time. When these symptoms are combined with a "foggy" head, they can make daily life extremely challenging. A consultation with one of our prescribers can help you plan your way through the hay fever season and identify simple measures to alleviate your discomfort and make things more comfortable.
Our prescribers can prescribe a hay fever injection, eye drops, nasal sprays, or tablets, all of which are prescription strength, if necessary depending on your symptoms.
What is Hay fever?
Hay fever is a pollen-induced allergic response. Around 10% to 15% of Britons are affected at various times of the year, depending on the sort of pollen they are sensitive to. Tree pollen allergies occur between March and May, grass pollen allergies occur between May and July, and weed pollen allergies occur between June and September.
Hay fever is similar to any other allergic reaction in that your immune system recognises a foreign substance entering your body and tries to eliminate it, resulting in an inflammatory response. The foreign body in the case of hay fever is pollen, which is completely harmless.
How to treat hay fever yourself
There is currently no cure for hay fever, and it cannot be avoided. When the pollen count is high, however, you can take the following steps to alleviate your symptoms.
- put Vaseline around your nostrils to trap pollen
- wear wraparound sunglasses to stop pollen getting into your eyes
- shower and change your clothes after you have been outside to wash pollen off
- stay indoors whenever possible
- keep windows and doors shut as much as possible
- vacuum regularly and dust with a damp cloth
- buy a pollen filter for the air vents in your car and a vacuum cleaner with a HEPA filter
Over-the-counter treatments are available at your local Midway Pharmacy to help reduce hay fever symptoms. Our pharmacists can provide advice on the best treatments, such as antihistamine drops, tablets, or nasal sprays, to help with itchy and watery eyes, sneezing, and a blocked nose.
Prescription strength treatments
If you have tried all of the above and are still experiencing symptoms, you may benefit from our prescription strength antihistamine. Simply book an appointment with one of our prescribers and they will contact you to determine appropriateness.
Our prescribers may prescribe eye drops, nasal sprays, or tablets, all of which are prescription strength, if necessary, depending on your symptoms.
Hay fever (Kenalog) injection
The Kenalog injection is available to Over 18s only.
If you suffer from severe sniffles, sneezing, watery eyes, and an itchy throat as soon as the weather warms up and medicines and nasal sprays don't help, a hay fever injection could be the solution you’re looking for. This is a steroid medication that is only recommended for patients with severe symptoms and is prescribed off-label.
How does Kenalog injection work?
Kenalog injection contains triamcinolone acetonide, which belongs to the class of drugs known as corticosteroids (steroids). Steroids are among the most potent anti-inflammatory medications available. They are used to treat a number of illnesses in which the body's immune system becomes uncontrollable, such as asthma and rheumatoid arthritis.
The hay fever injection relieves symptoms by temporarily inhibiting your body's immunological reaction. It is injected into the buttock, where a tiny amount is delivered straight to the muscle. Over the period of three weeks, they slowly leak into the bloodstream.
How long does the hay fever injection take to work?
The Kenalog injection is delivered intramuscularly, and the benefits begin to take effect one to 48 hours after the injection. The effects of the injection continue for at least three weeks, with many people reporting relief from symptoms that last the entire season. Typically, one dose of the hay fever injection is sufficient to protect you during the spring and summer months.
What are the benefits of Kenalog injection?
- Patients require only one dose to minimise hay fever symptoms for the entire season (up to three months)
- Cost-effective compared to investing in all other treatments
- The injection does not pass through the digestive system or the liver
- It could reduce or even stop your hay fever symptoms for the whole hay fever season
How this service option works...
- Choose which branch to visit and book an appointment.
- Follow the link in your booking confirmation email to fill out the patient questionnaire (at least 12 hours before your appointment).
- One of our prescribers will review the completed questionnaire and send a prescription to the branch you chose or contact you if needed.
- Visit the branch at the selected time and date to receive the injection.
Midway Pharmacy offers a private hay fever injection service, which is not accessible on the NHS. Simply book an appointment below, and one of our prescribers will contact you and if appropriate, issue a prescription.
To take advantage of this service, book an appointment below.